About Us

History Of the college
Principals Desk
Former Principals

The College is completely governed by the rules framed by the Department of Higher Education, Government of TamilNadu and is under the control of the Directorate of Collegiate Education, Higher Education Department, located at EVK Sampath Maaligai, Chennai 600006.

History of the college

Queen Mary’s College has been in the forefront of the education of women ever since July 1914, when the Government of Madras instituted the Madras Women’s College. The initial intake of 33 students was housed in a modest building called ‘Capper House’. However, by 1915, the college premises were expanded through the government’s annexure of the area surrounding Capper House. At this stage it offered only Intermediate courses. In 1916 under graduate courses were offered in History and Economics. Eventually Intermediate courses in subjects like Geography, Indian Music, Physics, Chemistry and Home Science were introduced.

Miss De La Hey was the first Principal of the college. The name of the college was changed to Queen Mary’s College in 1917. This college which was started on an experimental basis flourished and gained permanent status in 1918. By this time it had acquired fame and many young women who entered its portals for education, took wing after completing their courses.

An education in Queen Mary’s College was much sought after by parents of young women and families of high social standing coveted education in QMC for their daughters. This train of success carried the college to its momentous Golden Jubilee Celebration in 1964. To witness this occasion, Miss. D. Delahey M.A.,B.T., the first Principal of the College travelled from England: she offered her felicitations and delivered the welcome address. The Golden Jubilee Hall was inaugurated on this occasion. The building which houses the Golden Jubilee Hall also has a number of classrooms.

Another milestone was crossed in 1965, when the late, Mr. M. Bhaktavatsalam inaugurated the PUC course for the evening college.

In 1975 Diamond Jubilee of the college was celebrated. The highlight of this occasion was that the former Prime Minister Mrs. Indira Gandhi graced the occasion.  In 1987-1988 the college acquired ‘Autonomous’ status. In 1990 the Platinum Jubilee Celebrations were  held. The then Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu Mr. M. Karunanidhi  graced the occasion. To commemorate this event a new building was constructed. The special focus of the Platinum Jubilee year was the introduction of the B.Sc. Computer Science.


In 2010 “Kalaignar Maligai”, new building, was opened by former chief Minister M. Karunanidhi  In 2012 a new building having 10 class rooms and laboratories was  inaugurated by Chief Minister J. Jayalalitha.